December 23, 2014

Dec 23, 2014

Been trying to figure out how to get the word out about my planned hike but so far, I'm hearing only crickets. How does one market? Everyone says social media is the way to go. But how many times can I post my blog site and Fundly site on Facebook before my friends get tired of seeing it? I did tweet the City of Los Alamitos this morning. Is that the best way? What I need is a manager.
Dear Potential Manager: if you can help me reach my goal of at least $3,000 by May 15th, you can have 10% of that for all your hard work.

We had both girls over for dinner last night which was really great. I loved seeing everyone together around the dinner table talking about everything and nothing. The only thing ... when I brought up a funny story of how I mistakenly thought a friend was offering to loan me his equipment for my hike, I got.... nothing. No follow up questions or comments. Not even a polite "huh!" And it wasn't just that I didn't get a response. The uncomfortable silence that I did get spoke volumes. It told me this hike was decidedly not going to be discussed, and it would, in every way possible, be politely ignored. I was suddenly embarrassed by my gauche equipment story. Maybe they don't think I'm really going to do this? I don't know. I know Don's supportive, if not encouraging, but I expected some basic interest from the kids at least - the when, where and how of it all.  And maybe a conversation about safety or the risks involved.  What I didn't expect was nothing.

But no matter. Onward! I'll figure out how to raise the money with or without a manager, and with or without support from anyone else. I do enjoy the look on people's faces when they realize they've underestimated me.